Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"Mom you are good at some things too..."

Yesterday afternoon I spent time at home with my girls.  I was off from work and spent time coloring with Amara in the afternoon.   Annika came home from school and saw the well-done coloring page I did with giving Barbie dark hair and a peacock colored dress.  She proceeded to say, "Wow, Mom.  This coloring is really good. Did Dad do this?"    Needless to say I was floored that she not only assumed her Dad did it, but figured he did it while she was at school while I was the one to spent the day with them.  This caused me to wonder if they even find it valuable that I stay home on some days with them but instead of spinning into a tornado of doubt I asked her, "Why would you think he did it and not me?".  

Annika's response: "Well, he is the best at coloring."    I am so shocked by this answer for 24 hours that I am just left reeling.  

This evening I bring up the concept openly.  Figuring, with a day in between, they might have something nice to say about me. 

My question: "Well, is there something I am the best at?"

Amara's answer, "You are the best hugger."

Me: "Am I good at anything else?  Maybe giving you healthy food, helping you feel good, keeping your home safe and clean? helping you get dressed to feel beautiful inside and out?"

Amara: "Yes, one more thing. You are a good singer."

Me: "Well, your dad is a great singer too.  Anything else that I can do great?"

Amara:    "You are very good at sleeping."


So what my girls take away from all the effort and love I put into their daily lives is that I am excellent at sleeping.   :  )  Why do mother's try so hard every day?   I guess being the best at hugging is pretty important, too. 

No comments: